Whether you are a regular student with erasures to make on your computations or composition, or a professional artist who needs to tweak his sketch, a good eraser is a lifesaver. To help you focus on your studies or your craft, we bring you the best pencil erasers to have in your arsenal.
Thankfully, with the advancement in eraser technology, by pencil erasers we do not mean the tablets of wax that were once used to lift charcoal or lead from paper, the bits of rough stone to correct errors made on papyrus documents, or the crustless bread that was used in the Meiji era in Japan as pencil erasers.
In this article, we refer to the synthetic rubber erasers that are amongst the several pencil eraser options available on the market. They are known for their softness and non-abrasive qualities, and more importantly, their efficiency in erasing errors.
Qualities of a Good Pencil Eraser
Before we get to the nitty-gritty, it is important to know what makes a good pencil eraser. Here are a few criteria we had in mind in making our selection:
- Great Erasing Power
That is what erasers are supposed to do! But not all erasers are made equal. A good one should erase markings on paper with light pressure and with no smearing.
- Handy Shape
Erasers come in many shapes, including fruit and animal silhouettes. But the best-shaped ones should fetch you better coverage and allow you to work with precision. Square- or rectangular-shaped erasers with their pointed corners will let you do that.
- Gentle on the Surface
Some erasers can be aggressive and do more damage than good. For example, erasers with hard materials such as pumice are great at removing pencil or even pen marks, but they can thin or bore a hole through your paper, which is a more disastrous case!
We all hate saying goodbye to the good stuff too soon. Erasers that do not shed off much as they pull pencil markings are cost-efficient!
- Fewer Shavings
This last element, we concede, is a bit inconsequential. But it is tendemore convenient if you have shavings that clump together instead of ones that are all over the place.
So with all these considerations in mind, we bring you some of the top pencil erasers available.
Here are Some of the Best Pencil Erasers We Found:
Sargent Art Premium Pink Eraser
The Sargent Art Premium Eraser comes with the following features:
Allergic to natural rubber latex? The Sargent Art Premium Eraser is latex-free!
- Standard Size
Each eraser comes at a 1 x 2 3/8 x 3/8-inch dimension that is great for big and small hands.
The Sargent Art Premium Eraser comes in a pink color that makes it easy to spot in your pencil case or bag.
- 4 Packs
Choose among 4-, 16-, 36-, and 72-count packs that fetch you more savings as you go for boxes with more quantity.
- Bare Packaging
The erasers arrive in one box and are not individually packed Neither do they have a paper sleeve.
- Erases markings clean and neat
- Works great as a regular school eraser
- Size lets you hold it with ease as you lift imperfections
- Bare packaging saves you and the planet from unnecessary trash
- Not that soft and may cause your paper to tear if you are not careful
- May come out the priciest of the three products in review unless you get the 36-count box. That is taking into account its per piece price and its size.
- Not ideal for professional artist use
- Can get harder and less functional as they age. Not a good option if you are preparing for eraser apocalypse!
Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser
Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser features:
This eraser is made from synthetic rubber and does not contain latex that may trigger latex allergy.
- Large Block Size
Each Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser measures 3.8 x 6 x 1.1 inches.
- Soft Pressure
The Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser stays soft and ready to use with age. And with light pressure, it lifts errors and imperfections easily and cleanly.
- Individual Packaging and Protective Sleeve
Each Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser comes with a protective sleeve.
- 2 Packs
They are available in 3- or 10-count packs.
- Great not only for regular school use but also with an art-related application, including watercolor pens and colored pencils.
- Gentle on the work surface but effective enough not to leave eraser marks
- Does not leave too many shavings the way regular erasers do
- Protective sleeve keeps the eraser clean
- Corners are useful in getting into little corners or small details
- Offers the best value for your money
- Individual plastic packaging is unnecessary
- Have the tendency to smudge graphite
Prisma Color Magic Rub Eraser
Prisma Color Magic Rub Eraser has the following features:
The Prisma Color Magic Rub Eraser is made from vinyl and is latex-free.
- Large Block Size
Each eraser measures 3.2 x 2.5 x 2 inches. It also comes with sharp corners to help you get to the small details.
- Wide Application
The Prisma Color Magic Rub Eraser removes not only graphite markings but also that of India ink.
- Soft Pressure
This eraser helps you erase errors without tearing your paper.
- 12-Count Box
Get 12 pieces of Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Erasers in every box.
- Performs its job well
- Erases not only pencil markings but also pen, graphite, and colored pen marks
- Offers true value for the dollar
- Does not last as long as you would expect. Crumbles more than other vinyl erasers.
Among the three, we highly recommend the Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser. While it does not work with India ink like Prisma Color’s Magic Rub does, it ticks off several criteria for the best pencil eraser.
It is excellent not only for a student’s classroom needs but also for the professional artist’s. It is effective without being harsh on the work surface. The Pentel Hi-Polymer Block Eraser can lift lead, graphite, and watercolor pencil marks without a hitch. More importantly, it stays soft until you get to the last bit of it.